A standby generator is a device that produces electricity to power your home in the event of an outage. The question on many people’s mind is what size do I need for my home? What should you consider before buying one? In this article, we will answer these questions and more. You’ll learn about the benefits of using a standby generator and some brands to consider when purchasing one.
What is a standby generator and how does it work?
A standby generator is a device that produces electricity to power your home in the event of an outage. The question on many people’s mind is what size do I need for my home? What should you consider before buying one? In this article, we will answer these questions and more. You’ll learn about the benefits of using a standby generator and some brands to consider when purchasing one. How much do they cost and what are some of the best brands on the market?
The benefits of using a standby generator
Standby generators are easy to install and maintain. The average generator costs about $2000, but will save you money in the long run due to increased efficiency. They can also be used during emergency situations such as hurricanes or power outages without having to worry about overloading your home’s electrical system. This is a good option for people who live in rural areas where trees often knock down electric lines that lead from poles on high ground and into homes downhill from these poles. Such an event happened recently when Hurricane Irma passed through Florida – leaving many more than half of households with no electricity at all after the storm had passed!
Standby generators produce very little noise because they have mufflers which reduce vibrations so they can be used in most locations.
These generators come in a variety of sizes, ranging from smaller units that will run for 12 hours to larger models which can power an entire home for up to three days.
A standby generator is the perfect solution for those who live in rural areas or have limited access to electricity due to area disasters like hurricanes or wildfires. They are also helpful when there’s an emergency such as a natural disaster and you need running water, food refrigeration, heating systems, etc., but your house doesn’t have enough electrical power on its own
How to choose the right standby generator for your home?
One of the most common questions we get asked is which size of generator do I need for my home? The answer is dependent on a few factors such as how many items you would like to power simultaneously, the length of time that your generator will be running, and what type of fuel it uses.
This guide shows the right size generators for different types of homes:
- A Tiny House with no AC or heating needs up to 12 hours from smaller models;
- The average American home can usually go about two days before needing more electricity;
- Large homes require larger units which can provide upwards of three days worth of electricity.
How much do they cost and what are some of the best brands on the market?
Standby generators are not cheap but they can save you a fortune. The most affordable units will cost around $1000 and the more expensive ones can be upwards of $5000+. There is a wide variety in pricing, but one thing that all models have in common is that they require an initial investment as well as maintenance (fuel).
Some brands to consider: WEN, Kohler, Generac, Honda or John Deere.
What should you consider before buying one?
You should always purchase from a reputable company with good customer service ratings. This way if there are any malfunctions or other issues it’s easy to get answers without having to call your neighbor who just happens to have the same generator model! Read the following reviews and don’t be afraid to ask people what their experience has been, most of the time you will receive an honest answer.
So, without further ado, lets take a look at what we believe are the best gas powered generators currently on the market. As well as a short summary of each one, we’be added a link to Amazon where, naturally, you will get the best price.
The Best Standby Generators For Home Use Are:
1. WEN 56352 Gas Powered Portable Generator:
You’re prepared for anything with this portable, gas powered generator. It is great for outdoor and indoor events where power can be unpredictable. The low-oil shutdown feature protects your engine from overloads and maximizes fuel efficiency by shutting down the engine when there’s less than a quarter of a tank remaining. With more than enough output to operate some refrigerators, pumps, microwaves or other electric power equipment that runs on 208V/240V single phase connection, it has plenty of juice to get you through any situation. Give yourself peace of mind with the digital meter readout so you know how much time remains before alerting low oil function which will protect against long term damage while still allowing several minutes of operation in emergencies.
- Digital readout helps manage oil changes and maintenance schedule
- Low-oil shutdown and overload protection
- 11-hour runtime at half load
- Includes wheel kit and foldable handles for easy transport
- 212cc engine provides 3500 surge watts and 3000 rated watts.
2.Generac GP3500iO Open Frame RV Ready Inverter Generator
No matter how much power you need, this generator will be ready. With a starting capacity of up to 30 kVA and power output of 9000 watts, it is designed not just for your home but also high load equipment such as RV’s or industrial shops. It features PowerRUSH Technology for up to 50% more starting capability, is over 50% quieter than standard generators-perfect for noise sensitive environments, and weighs less than comparably sized models to ensure easy portability. Additionally, the inverter technology ensures cleaner energy with true power for sensitive electronics. And since the GP3500iO has four GFI outlets and parallel wiring capabilities in addition to two built-in USB ports-you won’t have a shortage of locations available
- PowerRUSH Technology - Delivers over 50% more starting capacity-allowing you to do more with less
- Up to 50% quieter - ideal for noise sensitive environments/ up to 25% lighter - for improved portability
- True power technology - clean power for sensitive electronics
- RV ready - connect directly to RV to power most RV air conditioners up to 15, 000 BTU
- USB outlets and parallel ready - connect 2 units together for double the power
3. Briggs & Stratton 30708 5750w Generator,
You’re out in the wild, somewhere far away from civilization. The only thing you can hear is the wind howling in your ears and ruffling through branches of old spooky trees. Suddenly a full twenty-four hours power outage hits! You forgot your generator at home but don’t fret!
Introducing Briggs & Stratton’s amazing new 5750-watt generator to the rescue. Built for those that spend long periods living off grid or forgetting essential items on their camping trips because they overslept, this bad boy is easy enough to use with just six buttons—plus never go flat tires so you’ll never be stuck afraid and alone in the dark again without any power. With plenty of surge power ready at your disposal, things wont suddenly seem so bleak!
- Briggs & Stratton OHV engine, 389cc
- Multi-featured control panel with circuit breaker protection: has four GFCI 120V household outlets and one 120/240V, 30A locking outlet for your portable power needs. Includes rubber outlet covers to protect against the elements.
- Surge wattage: the power Surge Alternator produces a short surge of power needed to start large motor-driven appliances and tools Simultaneously.
- Easy, all-terrain maneuverability: featuring 10” Never go flat wheels and a fold-up handle.
- Up to 11.5 hours of run time at 50% load
4. Champion 3400-Watt Dual Fuel RV Ready Portable Inverter Generator with Electric Start
Don’t worry about what type of power your RV has or if you can find a gas station, with the Champion 3400-watt portable generator. At 29 pounds and less than 10 inches deep, it’s easy to move and use for those unexpected moments when electricity goes out. There are 3 different modes you can run this product on which is convenient because no matter what environment your in this dual fuel generator will have power available to get things running again. It not only comes equipped with an electric start battery but also features a three position ignition switch that makes operating quick and simple every time. With the built-in volt meter that conveniently displays voltage levels at a glance so you know exactly how much power is being put back into your battery.
- Dual Fuel – Operate your 3400-watt portable generator right out of the box on either gasoline or propane, plus the unit holds 0.6-quarts of oil (recommended 10W-30) and has a low oil shut-off sensor
- Convenient Electric Start with 3-Position Ignition Switch – Battery included, plus Quick Touch Panel allows you to access all your controls in one spot.Noise Level :59 dBA at 23 feet. Frequency 60 Hz
- Ultra-Quiet Operation – 59 dBA is perfect for RVs, tailgating, your next project or backup power for your home, featuring 3400 starting watts and 3100 running watts with up to 7.5 hours run time on gasoline
- Clean Power for Sensitive Electronics – RV Ready with a 120V 30A RV, plus two 120V 20A household outlets with clean electricity (less than 3% THD) and 12V DC outlet with dual USB adapter
- Champion Support – Includes 3-year limited warranty with FREE lifetime technical support from dedicated experts
5.Champion Power Equipment 76533 4750/3800-Watt Dual Fuel RV Ready Portable Generator with Electric Start
Powerful and dependable, the Champion 76533 4750/3800-Watt Dual Fuel RV Ready Generator is a twofold powerhouse. This model features both electric start power (battery included) and remote capabilities. Shift seamlessly from gasoline to propane fuels for ultimate convenience while also accessing three 120V household outlets (5-20R). Along with these major features, this generator is also backed by a 3 year warranty for your peace of mind. The Outdoor Power Equipment Champion 76533 is 4750/3800-Watt generator that runs on gasoline or propane and, as we have mentioned is RV ready. The dual fuel mode means that you can operate your 3800 Watt portable generator right out of the box on either gasoline or propane, plus the unit includes a built in low oil shut off sensor. Featuring an electric start, you can power up the 224cc Champion engine with the handy toggle switch, battery included. Finally, its smart technology Intelligauge™ helps you keep track of voltage, hertz and run-time hours to easily monitor power output and track maintenance intervals.
- Dual Fuel: Operate your 3800-watt portable generator right out of the box on either gasoline or propane, plus the unit holds 0.6-quarts of oil (included) and has a low oil shut-off sensor
- Electric Start: Power up the 224cc Champion engine with the handy toggle switch, battery included
- Intelligauge: Keep track of voltage, hertz and run-time hours to easily monitor power output and track maintenance intervals. Dimensions-26.3 x 24.8 x 22.9 inches
- Outlets: One 120V 30A RV outlet (TT-30R), one 120V 30A locking outlet (L5-30R) and two 120V 20A household outlets (5-20R) - trust Volt Guard built-in surge protector to prevent overloads
- Champion Support: Includes 3-year limited warranty with FREE lifetime technical support from dedicated experts
6. DuroMax XP5500EH Electric Start-Camping & RV Ready
We all want our outdoor adventures to be more pleasurable. That’s why we recommend the DuroMax XP5500EH. This go-anywhere, do-anything generator will power air conditioners and high amperage tools with ease. With plenty of starting wattage and running power, this 5500 Peak/4350 Running Watt beast is ready for any adventure! It doesn’t matter what you need it for! This camping-ready generator can take on anything from power tools to appliances, gas or propane. If you’re looking for a powerful engine with plenty of flexibility and freedom, DuroMax is the answer.
- Plenty of Power – With 5,500 starting watts and 4,500 running watts, this unit can handle heavy loads, from lights and a refrigerator to a home air conditioner and high amperage power tools
- Dual Fuel Technology – This generator runs on gasoline or propane, giving you the freedom and flexibility of fuel choice
- Powerful Engine – The DuroMax 224cc OHV engine is a workhorse that provides plenty of power to handle multiple jobs, from powering high voltage appliances to heavy duty power tools
- MX2 Technology - Get the maximum power from each of the 120-volt receptacles. Choose between operating the generator at both 120V and 240V simultaneously, or at 120V only with full power. Ideal for usage with RVs
- Fully Featured Power Panel – The power panel includes a wide selection of outlets for maximum compatibility in your applications including: (2) 120V household GFCI outlets, and (1) 120/240V 30A twist lock outlet. The panel also includes a voltmeter and 12V DC charging posts for charging external batteries
7.YAMAHA EF2000iSv2, 1600 Running Watts/2000 Starting Watts, Gas Powered Portable Inverter
With 1600 watts of AC output with an add-on power cord and 2000 maximum wattage, the Yamaha EF2000iSv2 gas powered portable generator will never leave you hanging when it comes to power. It has a smart throttle that varies engine speed based on the load so fuel efficiency is improved, noise level decreases, and all this can be backed up by our one year warranty!
The YAMAHA EF2000iSv2 is one of our top recommended options for those looking for a reliable backup plan. With powerful starting capabilities right out of the box (and 700 running watts) this generator is ready to support your needs in even the toughest circumstances.
- 1600 watt rated AC output, 2000 watt maximum AC output, 13.3/16.7 amps @ 120V
- Super-quiet muffler with USFS-approved spark arrestor - 51.5 dBA at 1/4 load
- Smart Throttle varies engine speed based on load - improves fuel economy and reduces noise
- Inverter system with Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) control
- CARB Compliant
8. EF ECOFLOW RIVER Pro Portable Power Station 720Wh, Power Multiple Devices
Say goodbye to power outages and forever be stressed about battery life. Get an ECOFLOW RIVER Pro Portable Power Station 720Wh, the best portable power station with eco-friendly solar technology that is light and easy to carry for when you are on the go. With multiple outlet options, including 3 pure sine wave AC outlets, this power bank takes care of all your traveling needs so you’ll never have to depend on staying at home again because of an outage in the area. It also charges very fast so it’s always ready when you need it most – whether if you’re away from your desktop or just feel like a change of scene!
- [3 x AC OUTLETS AND 720Wh CAPACITY]: The RIVER Pro can power up to 10 devices simultaneously with multiple outlet options, including 3 pure sine wave AC outlets. Note that the total rated wattage of the AC outlets should be under 600W (surge 1200W). It offers up to 720Wh power and it weighs just 16.8lbs, which makes it a portable power station for adventure on the go.
- [RECHARGE FROM 0-80% WITHIN 1 HOUR]: The patented EcoFlow X-Stream technology enables you to charge the RIVER Pro from 0%-80% within one hour and offers a full charge in just 1.6 hours.
- [POWER A WIDE RANGE OF APPLIANCES]: With a built-in 600W inverter, the RIVER Pro can power some devices up to 1800W with the X-Boost mode on, which lets you power about 80% of essential devices like kitchen appliances and DIY tools. Please conduct full test on a case-by-case basis to see if the X-Boost feature can work with your appliances. Use devices below 1200W for the best product use.
- [DOUBLE CAPACITY FROM 720Wh to 1440Wh]: Add a RIVER Pro Extra Battery to double the capacity from 720Wh to 1440Wh. This is ideal for situations like traveling, camping, or group outdoor activities where you need more power for more devices. RIVER Pro Extra Battery is sold separately.
- [24-MONTH PRODUCT GUARANTEE]: The RIVER Pro portable power station comes with a 24-month product guarantee, and EcoFlow offers a 24x7 specialist customer service. In the box: 1x RIVER Pro, 1x AC Charging Cable, 1x Car Charging Cable, 1x Solar Charging Cable, 1x DC5521-DC5525 Cable, 1x RIVER Pro User Manual, 1x RIVER Pro GUARANTEE Card.
9. Jackery Portable Power Station Explorer 500, 518Wh Outdoor Solar Generator Mobile Lithium Battery Pack
Innovative compact outdoor power solution for RV’s, camping, road trips and more. With the touch of a button operation modes (AC or DC) this solar generator allows you to run all your appliances from low power to high power with pure sine wave inverter without ever worrying about short circuiting. It also features AC outlet providing 100-1000 watts, an 1800-watt peak in emergencies; USB ports – charge up to 3 devices at once; 2*DC outputs able to provide 12V-24V 5A sources are available and 1*car charging port that plugs into a cigarette lighter socket. With automatic battery protection it can automatically stop consuming electricity when the battery discharges beyond 80% and resumes boosting as soon as its needed again.
- Founded in 2012, Jackery specializes in providing solar generators for the explorers. As an industry leader in eco-friendly portable power, Jackery aims to developing green, quiet and convenient energy solutions that provide off-grid power. Wish everyone enjoys the outdoor life.
- [MASSIVE CAPACITY 518Wh]: Jackery Explorer 500 is equipped with a 518 watt-hour (24Ah, 21.6V) lithium-ion battery pack. It features 1* AC outlet (110V 500W 1000W Peak), 3*USB-A ports, 2* DC ports and 1*car port to power many aplliances including mini fridge, air pump and TV from low power to high power with pure sine wave inverter.
- [POWER STATION DESIGNED FOR PORTABILITY]: The Jackery portable power station Explorer 500 is about the size of a basketball and has a solid handle. It's easy to carry, and its compact design makes the Jakery Explorer 500 perfect for enjoying RV camping and road trips.
- [EASY SETUP SOLAR GENERATOR]: With a built-in MPPT controller, Jackery Explorer 500 can easily get recharged with the efficient solar panel, Solar Saga 100W (sold separately) to provide green power.You can also use other flexible recharging ways with wall outlet and car outlet.
- [WHAT YOU GET]: You will receive 1* Jackery Explorer 500 Portable Power Station (518Wh Portable Power Station), 1*AC adapter, 1* car charger cable, 1* user guide and 24 months customer service.
10.WEN 56380i Super Quiet 3800-Watt Portable Inverter Generator with Fuel Shut-Off and Electric Start
Keep your electronics up and running with the patented fuel-shutoff feature of this generator. This innovative design helps you avoid damaging sensitive equipment like smartphones, tablets, laptops & more. The quiet inverter design produces clean power to ensure reliability at any location so go anywhere without plugging in!
Noise Levels: Less than 65 decibels on average (about as loud as heavy rainfall) Wattage: 3800 surge watts & 3400 rated wattage – enough to keep even the most powerful appliances going when regular electricity is unavailable Weight: 99lbs This workhorse of a generator can run for up to 8.5 hours at half-load, and has clean power capabilities! The WEN 56380i Super Quiet 3800-Watt Portable Inverter Generator with Fuel Shut-Off is EPA III and CARB Compliant and has plenty of outlets including two three prong 120V receptacles, one AC 120V NEMA TT-30R RV receptacle, one 12V DC receptacle, one 5V USB port. What more could you ask from your generator?
- Dimensions: 23.2" L x 18" W x 20.1" H | Weight: 99.2 lb
- EPA III and CARB Compliant
- 212cc 4-stroke OHV engine produces 3800 surge watts and 3400 rated watts with a half-load runtime of up to 8.5 hours
- Fuel shutoff maximizes the generator’s lifespan by using up the remaining fuel in the carburetor before shutting down
- Produces clean power to prevent damage to sensitive electronics such as smart phones, tablets and laptops
Gas powered generators are not cheap. You need to know which one to buy, what features you want and how much money you can afford to spend before making a purchase. Thankfully for you we’ve done the research on 10 of the top gas-powered models available today so that when it comes time for your next emergency backup generator, all your bases are covered!